CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Neglect

I titled this post "Neglect" because I have neglected this blog so terribly! Lots has gone on since the last time I've posted..and I have not made the time to get on here and blog about it. I guess I always tell myself..well we don't have kids yet..so no one is interested in what we are doing! ha :) I always get on here and check my friends blogs..Alicia..if you are reading this, you never let me down! I love reading your entry's..they are so sweet and creative. I'm going to try and get better at this..and hopefully once we do have children I will do even better! :)

The summer came and went...and I can't believe we are already almost through September. Where does the time go? Let's see...I will try to sum up all the fun exciting things that happened this summer. The first thing on my to-do list for the summer was to get a teaching job for the fall. I think that is the only thing that made the summer feel too long. Fortunately, I did get a teaching job and I found out about it the Thursday before school started! Nothing like Heavenly Father coming through at the last minute ;) I was offered an interim position at an elementary school in Gatlinburg teaching 3rd grade. It was only temporary (until Christmas) and the major bummer was that it was sub pay. I took it, knowing I didn't have anything else at the time, and the pay decrease was worth the sacrifice of getting my foot in the door. I was only there for a week and 2 days when another job opportunity came knocking. I was offered a part time teaching position at New Center School, teaching 4th grade reading. This position is my very own and I even have my own classroom! The big big excitement, is that it is for the entire school year..and has the potential of becoming full time next year. SUCCESS! :) I'm taking baby steps..but grateful to be taking any steps at all.

I officially became a Biker Chick! My dad has had different motorcycles since I was in middle school and I have never ever ridden on it with him. I'm not really sure why..I guess I was always too scared of what could happen. So we finally set a time to get together and he drove me through the beautiful Smoky Mountains! It turned out to be a gorgeous day and we even stopped in Cades Cove and got an ice cream at the Camp Store. (They have the BEST ice cream!) My dad and I have always been close..it was nice to have a day where it was just me and him.

I went ZIP LINING!! For those of you who were able to witness my horrible meltdown at Youth Conference in 2003 at the YMCA Ropes Course...you know that I am terribly afraid of heights. We have friends that moved into the ward in December who just opened their own Canopy Tour in Gatlinburg over the summer. She has become a great friend of mine and is also my counselor in YW's. So for an activity one night we took the girls zip lining. Well I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to do this or not..so Ashley and I decided it would be best if I came out before we went with the girls..so I would know what to expect and get my meltdowns out before then. :)  I ended up LOVING IT! I was a little nervous at first..but it was an awesome experience and I felt super safe. If you are ever coming to East TN to visit..you must make Climb Works Canopy part of your destination.

Every July brings Girls Camp..and this was my second year going as a leader. I was lucky to be working with the same sister I worked with last year (who is in my ward, and her daugther is in YW). Her and I were over 2nd years this year. We stayed at Camp Tanasi, which isa Girl Scout Camp in TN. It was a beautiful location, but staying in cabins with no air condition in the peak of summer was extremely HOT. I was lucky to have my entire YW Presidency there with me, and we were lucky to be able to all bunk together. I love girls camp...I'm not much of an "out-doorsy", bug liking, getting dirty kind of girl..but I love how girls camp brings everyone together. We always come back feeling so refreshed in the gospel and so strong as a YW group. I LOVE IT. I love watching the girls grow and mingle with other girls that all believe the same thing. Working with them, and watching them grow has magnified my testimony so much. My calling has been such a blessing. 

The week after girls camp was Youth Conference. This year was unlike any other year since I've been working with the youth, and I have to say it's been the best by far. We were combined with 4 other stakes. They all bunked at Maryville College and has Sis. Dalton come and speak!!! How amazing!! I dropped off my girls and felt like a mom taking her child to summer camp. I walked them up to their dorm, excitedly asked them if they wanted me to help them un-pack..I think I might have been more excited then they were. :) I couldn't wait to pick them up and find out how it went.

August is always a special time in our family. It's our anniversary month, Andy's birthday, and the month we rescued Wilbur. We celebrated our 3rd anniversary on August 9th. We drove over to Nashville and spent the day at the Temple. We sealed my grandparents (my dads parents)..what an awesome way to spend our anniversary! I can't believe it has already been 3 years. In my opinion, I think marriage gets so much better as time goes on. I feel closer to him now than I ever have..and I don't think I can pin-point exactly when or how it happened..but I've been reflecting on it a lot lately. Andy was my life-saver..and I feel so lucky that he never gave up on me.  I'm so happy that he is mine for eternity! :)





6 comments:

Katie said...

Thanks for the update! :) Love the new layout !

Mrs Gable said...

So happy to see you blogging again! Thank you for the update!

Alicia said...

Good to see you are still alive and well :) Our family LOVES Cades Cove - how neat that you live so close. We always took vacations there growing up. And, I think, every time we went we saw a bear! Have fun teaching!!

Heather said...

Oh Heather, I totally remember your melt down in 2003!! I started laughing out loud when I read that! Oh the good ol days! I'm happy for you and Andy and that you found a job in these rough times! When you coming to visit us in UT?? We have a couch awaiting you :) Hurry and get the vacations in before babies come along :)

Courtney and Robbie Driver said...

Aw, I remember the infamous ropes course incident. I think there's even a picture somewhere from right before you got up there. Glad you gave it another go :) And yay for your teaching job! That's so exciting!

Andy & Heather Law said...

haha I can't believe you guys remember..how embarrassing! Courtney I would love to see that photo. Someone has one of me while I'm up there finishing the last part and the look on my face is pure terror! Heather we would love to come visit! Hopefully we can make it out that way in the near future! Babies or no babies :)